Hello Friends! Do you have projects that you know need to get done but you constantly push it off? Organizing my closet is number one on the list of such projects. Organizing spaces in your home can become a daunting project especially when you have to juggle work, family, and kid’s responsibilities.
Working from home for the past three months I have made it a task to slowly organize rooms in my room. This may take a week, a day, and hopefully not three months. My purpose was to get on it and get the job done. I will be sharing some tips I learned while organizing my closet. I hope you share your tips and tricks with me as well.
In total transparency, the closet was no longer in a state it was in a country. With clothes strewn all over the floors, laundry basket overflowing, and mismatched hangers. Having that picture created in your mind, below are some of the steps I took to reorganize my closet.
Steps in Organizing my Closet
- The first step is to empty out your closet. Vacuum and wipe down shelves
- Then Grab storage bags/trash bags to store unwanted items
- Sort your clothing into categories such as keep, donate, and sell. My rule of thumb is. All clothing that has not been worn in 6 months to 1 year, can be donated or sold.
- Then now is the time to return items back into Your Closet
- Start by grouping like items together. Shirts (short/long-sleeved), pants, and dresses.
- While arranging the clothes, I arranged Clothing for the summer season to the front section of the closet. While my jackets and sweaters are all arranged in the back section of my closet
- Also, I recommend using coordinating hangers to create an aesthetically pleasing and cohesive look.
- Fold work out clothes, pajamas, and leggings in dressers.
- Drawer dividers are perfect solutions for undergarment storage.
- Hang belts and scarves on hanging racks.
For more organizing content please check out my kitchen organization post.