Welcome to the one-room challenge week 3. Prior to sharing our progress thus far. Here is a little history on the one room challenge. During the spring and fall of each year. Featured designers are handpicked by Linda Weinstein and the team at ORC. To participate in a 6-week one-room makeover challenge. Where each designer gives a room of their choice a makeover. We are all carried along on the journey to transform these rooms. Luckily individuals like me with an Instagram or blog account can choose to sign up as a guest participant and join in on the fun.
One Room Challenge Week|3
One of the goals for the One Room Challenge Week 3 was to install the board and batten. We knew when we started this project we were not going to remove nor replace the baseboards. So we had to come up with a way to have the board and batten installed with a flawless finish while the baseboards were still in place.
We decided on wrapping or placing 1/4 inch width pre-primed wood above the baseboards. By doing this we did not have cut off the edges of the 21/4 boards we used to for the board and batten. Our intention going into this was to use pre-primed wood for the board and batten. By doing this we would not have to prime and paint the wood. Helping reduce labor and time spent on the project.
BOARD AND BATTEN
Unfortunately we were unable to find any pre-primed wood in the size we wanted at any of our local home supply stores. So we had to forgo that plan and buy unprimed wood. Which was a new learning curve for us newbies, I will do a more detailed post later on errors we have made during this process.
After installing the unprimed wood. The next step was to prime the wood, then paint. To paint we used the Behr paint in pure white for this project. We also repainted the baseboards to white from the former beige color that came with the house. We used a satin gloss paint in pure white for painting the baseboards.
Another thing that was accomplished this week was taking out the old mirror. After watching a couple of videos on youtube. My husband was able to take out the mirror without it breaking into shards thankfully. I was nervous about this process. I did not want shards splintering everywhere and hurting him. Thankfully it all went seamlessly. Next week we will be taking out the vanity, wallpaper the wall where the mirror was removed and hopefully we have decided on a vanity.
To-do list for next week
- Decide on mirror
- Decide on Vanity
- Finish wallpaper
- Start shopping for accessories